1. Why is DRS making me answer questions before issuing my Connecticut tax refund? This helps assure that your refund will not be stolen by someone who may have stolen your identity or has made a fraudulent claim.
2. Where did DRS get my personal information? Some questions may ask for taxpayer specific information. All the taxpayer specific information comes from public records but the responses will usually only be familiar to the actual taxpayer.
3. Why was I selected to go through this process? Some of the information from the tax return submitted in your name has automatically triggered this further review. All you have to do is correctly answer one or more questions to prove your identity.
4. What if I elect not to answer the questions? DRS cannot release your refund until assured that your refund is not being issued to someone posing as you.
5. What happens if I make a mistake and answer the questions incorrectly? In some cases, you will be able to answer a second short series of questions.
6. What if I cannot answer the second set of questions? Your refund cannot be released until our Fraud Prevention Unit works with you to confirm your identity.